[mou] Suggestions on viewing the Jaeger in Blue Earth County

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:41:07 -0500

When I arrived around 11:00 to look for the jaeger at the south side =20
of Eagle Lake, the bird was not present. However, around 11:30 the =20
bird came into view and began chasing Ring-billed Gulls, as it did for =20
much of yesterday. I was able to note the field marks that Peder =20
posted about. Denny Martin arrived, and together we watched the bird =20
fly amongst the gulls. Around 12:15 the bird flew out of site toward =20
the north end of Eagle Lake, which is not visible from the south end. =20
I had to leave, but Denny remained and hiked up the Sakatah Trail, =20
which actually runs right between the north and south sections of =20
Eagle Lake. Around 1:00 he said the bird flew over and again resumed =20
chasing gulls and sitting on the water on the south side of the lake. =20
 From the Sakatah Trail looking south, however, you are a bit closer =20
to where the bird is than from the dirt road on the north side of Hwy. =20
14. To get to the trail: Drive one and a half miles north of Hwy. 14 =20
on CR 78 (this is west of the lake). Here there is a parking lot for =20
the Sakatah trail, and then you can hike out to the point between the =20
two parts of the lake. From here the bird will be to your southeast. =20
So, either this spot or the pulloff on the north side of Hwy. 14 are =20
the places to view the Jaeger. Good luck!

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County