[mou] Bohemian Waxwing, Watonwan County

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:23:47 -0600

This morning I found a Bohemian Waxwing northwest of the town of
Madelia in Watonwan County. The bird was sitting on a low telephone
wire in front of someone's yard. It sat there for about a minute,
allowing me to take some photos. The bird flew off behind the house
and I could not relocate it. Interestingly, there were no other
waxwings in the area.

This is the third Bohemian Waxwing I have found in southern Minnesota
at the end of October in the past five years. The others were in
Carver County in 2001 and Scott County in 2002. Those birds, however,
were with flocks of Cedar Waxwings, so I was surprised by today's
solitary bird.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County