[mou] Red Crossbills, Nicollet County

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:20:43 -0600

Around 4:00 this afternoon I found a flock of about 15 Red Crossbills
feeding on cones among the spruce and pine trees on campus here at
Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter. I first saw the flock fly, and
immediately I heard the "jip jip" calls that I have heard up north. I
followed the flock to its next stop, and had decent views of the birds
feeding. I know there have been a few reports of this species south of
Duluth already, but I don't know if any have been seen south of the
Twins Cities yet. Pretty cool...can't recall a Red Crossbill invasion
in southern MN in recent years.

Hmm. With a Bohemian Waxwing yesterday and Red Crossbills today, it's
beginning to feel a bit like northern Minnesota down here...

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County