[mou] Black-backed Woodpecker at Afton State Park, Washington County

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:29:59 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0196_01C6FC6A.8D4E7520

Hairy Woodpeckers have a very common practice of stripping bark from =
conifers just like black-backs and three-toeds.  It is impossible to =
tell the tree markings apart.  We have seen tree stripping in just about =
every conifer planting in the state when there is a dead or dying tree =
in the group.  And we have watched a hairy strip bark multiple times in =
multiple places. =20

In the last couple of  weekends Barb and I probably watched 15-20 =
black-backs and three-toeds strip bark from conifers on the North Shore. =
 On at least one of those occasions there was a downy peeling bark just =
down from two three-toeds and on another occasion there was a hairy =
peeling bark just up from a black-backed.

We suspect that this tendency is not related to the species but more so =
to the prey that they are trying to get at to eat.  Pine Bark Beetles or =
whatever you call them are just under the bark and by simple peeling the =
bark the woodpecker can get to the insect.  Perhaps an entomologist (Pat =
?) can correct me on the exact species name.  While this prey species is =
more common in northern Minnesota, home to the unusual woodpeckers, it =
is also common in conifer plantations in southern Minnesota.  Thus you =
see evidence of bark peeling in southern Minnesota.  Our normal =
woodpeckers in southern Minnesota would have a hard time peeling the =
bark off a typical hardwood tree, unless the tree or parts of it had =
been dead for awhile.

Bottom line is that you have to actually see the bird (as Bob did in =
Afton SP) to identify a possible northern woodpecker anywhere in the =
state.

Denny=20

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com