[mou] conservation salaries

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:59:13 -0500

How many basic memberships does it take to pay the salaries of the
executives who lead our major conservation organizations? I had no
idea, indeed, the thought never crossed my mind until I saw the Spring
06 issue of Pacific Seabirds, a conservation magazine. PS listed its
most recent information on conservation-executive salaries. I post this
not as criticism, for all of these organizations make important
contributions. But..... it certainly takes a lot of us to pay the
people in the CEO's chair. I might just come out of retirement if the
NRDC job was to be offered to me.

National Resources Defense Council, CEO received $704,796, equal to
70,479 memberships at its basic $10 enrollment level.

Wildlife Conservation Society, $495,422, 6,605 memberships at basic $75.

National Wildlife Federation, $477,138, 15,904 memberships at basic $30.

The Nature Conservancy, $399,788, 15,991 memberships at basic $25.

National Audubon Society, $362.237, 18,112 memberships at basic $20.

Conservation International, $336,353, 9,610 memberships at basic $35.

World Wildlife Fund, $310,781, 12,431 memberships at basic $25.

Jim Williams
Wayzata, Minnesota