[mou] Duluth update

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:11:48 -0500

Randy Frederickson and I refound the juvenile Pomarine Jaeger today (10
September) at 11:50 AM while standing on the viewing platform just
north of the airport on Park Point in Duluth. It flew within about 250
yards of the beach and was in view for four minutes before
disappearing. Randy was on yesterday's boat trip and commented on this
bird's larger size, broader wings, and heavier chest compared to the
three Parasitic Jaegers seen during the boat trip. Once again, its
"double underwing flash" and paler, barred rump was evident and we
could readily see its dark-tipped, bluish-gray bill gleaming against
its dark face. It pursued an adult Ring-billed Gull down the beach and
seemingly drove the gull into the pines south of the airport; its
wingspan was at least as great as the gull's.
At least one and probably two different Parasitic Jaegers were seen off
Wisconsin Point this afternoon. Yesterday, Robbye Johnson observed a
minimum of three different Parasitics off Wisconsin Point at about the
same time that the two adult Parasitics were videotaped 8 miles off
Park Point during the boat trip, suggesting that five or more
Parasitics were present on western Lake Superior yesterday.
Robbye also found an adult Little Gull in basic plumage yesterday on
the inland side of Wisconsin Point in Allouez Bay. This bird was not
seen today and did not fly into Minnesota waters, but may still be in
the area.
I found a juvenile Sabine's Gull on the Minnesota side of the Superior
Entry today at 3:45 PM. I was standing on Wisconsin Point and looking
towards the breakwater on the Minnesota side of the state line. The
bird disappeared when one of the Parasitic Jaegers strafed the
breakwall.
Yesterday's adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was seen again on the
Minnesota side of the Superior Entry from 2:45 to 3:00 PM this
afternoon.
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN