[mou] Caspian terns, Frontenac

Robert_Russell@fws.gov Robert_Russell@fws.gov
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:56:18 -0500

--0__=09BBFB75DFD84A3B8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBFB75DFD84A3B

After an absence of a couple of decades I decided to walk out to Fronte=
nac
Point, perhaps now one of the most overlooked sites in the state and mu=
ch
beloved by old-time birders back in the 1950's and 1960's.  The cottonw=
oods
seemed much larger than I had remembered and the trail in better shape.=

With water levels low the Frontenac Point projects well into Lake Pepin=
 and
a small secondary point has developed to the north of the main point th=
at
also held some birds.  On a cool, drizzly Sunday there were no other hi=
kers
besides Pete the dog and Linda the girlfriend.  Although no rarities we=
re
seen there were 7 Caspian Terns at the point including two first-year
birds, 2 Herring Gulls, 50+ pelicans, cormorants, geese, osprey, TVs,
eagles, and a steady stream of swallows moving southward at about 20 a
minute, mostly barns and trees with a few bank.  Plan on spending a min=
imum
of two hours if you want to walk to the tip and bird along the way.  Bo=
Russell=

[...]

 the tip and bird along the way.  Bob Russell</body></html>=

--0__=09BBFB75DFD84A3B8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBFB75DFD84A3B--