[mou] MRVAC - Northeastern Minnesota - Field trip report - Sept. 17, 18, 19, 2006

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan@msn.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 04:53:45 -0500

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Northeastern Minnesota
Field Trip Report
September 17, 18, 19, 2006

12 - participants
84 - species observed

We enjoyed a great fall trip to Northeastern Minnesota, with many
highlights.  Including distant looks at the adult Little Gull.  Thanks go
out to Jim Lind for finding and reporting the bird.  To Kim Eckert for
alerting us about the bird and Peder Svingen for taking the time to help our
group relocate the bird in flight over lake Superior.  Our group observed
the bird from Canal Park.  We also enjoyed a number of large kettles of
Broad-winged Hawks at the Hawk Ridge overlook today.  Additionally, we
encounter several nice waves of Warblers at Park point this mourning.  Here
are some of the highlight species observed by the group.

Horned Grebe
9 species of Raptors at Hawk Ridge
Sora - 40th Ave W Erie Pier area
Bonaparte's Gull
Little Gull - 5:00pm on Monday, out from Canal Park, in flight over the lake
Caspian Tern
Forester's Tern - Immature bird observed at Canal Park, near the lift
bridge.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Two Harbors - Several immature birds were
observed across from the park on 2nd Ave.
Tree Swallow - Stoney point - Small flock observed migrating
Gray-cheeked Thrush - a single bird was observed near the first parking
area, for the recreation area at the end of Park point.
Swainson's Thrush - observed in large numbers in numerous locations
15 species of Warbler - with nice mix this morning, between the bus turn
around and the first parking area at the end of park point.
8 species of Sparrow, including a Clay-colored Sparrow at Park point and a
nice mix on the trails behind the East side Holiday Station in Two Harbors.

Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan@msn.com