[mou] Afternoon explosion, Duluth

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 08:00:02 -0500

Nathan & I birded the Duluth & Wisconsin Point areas yesterday.

Mike Hendrickson did an excellent job leading us/coping with the loss of the
boat trip (those six foot swells would have been more excitement than I was
looking for!).  Jaeger after jaeger passed by, by late afternoon we had
witnessed at least 18 appearances (some could have been multiple, although
all were right to left across the horizon at 12th Street and Park Point).

We visited 12th Street (three times), Park Point (twice), the trail behind
the airport, Bayfront Park, Canal Park and Wisconsin Point.  Most areas were
quiet (bird wise), but Park Point at 4:00 exploded for about ten minutes:

Nathan and I watched a languid, large, barred tail Jaeger that could best be
described as Fat Albert strolling, singing "Feeling Groovy" - we concluded
it was the Pomarine - when we observed a Sabine's Gull - which immediately
led to a Little Gull sighting.  Three life birds in five minutes - thought
those days were long past in the upper Midwest.

Eight year birds, four state, three life - we were happy to embrace 20+ mile
an hour winds and horizontal rain.  My hat is off to you Duluthians - the
weather seemed to affect noone along the beaches or restaurants.

We retired to "Touch of Saigon", enjoying both the food and the day.  Back
to normal life this morning!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties