[mou] Park PT. Sunday

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:26:14 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C6E028.71F51A80

Right after church mass I headed over to Lafayette Square (31st Street) =
to do some lake scanning for jaegers/gulls & terns.  I met Jim Otto who =
was arrived here at 8:30am and I also met several birders from all over =
Minnesota, who like Jim wanted to see the jaegers, Sabine's Gulls and =
Little Gulls.

Highlights of the day:
- Red-throated Loon: A adult winter plumage bird that I spotted straight =
out from us.
- Juvenile Sabine's Gull: I spotted this lone bird moving towards Canal =
Park loosely mixed in with some Bonaparte's Gulls.
- 2 Adult light morph Parasitic Jaegers, 1 Juv. intermediate Parasitic =
Jaeger ( very close to us )
- 3-4 Jaeger species harassing gulls and terns. To far from us to make a =
ID as to what species they were.
- 1 possible Pomarine Jaeger. Jim Otto and I spotted this large jaeger =
harassing a Ring-billed Gull. The overall look of this jaeger was the =
same size as the Ring-billed Gull it was harassing. It was a tough call =
for me to be positive but it sure looked bulky enough to be a Pomarine. =
I guess after seeing multiple views of jaegers all weekend and you see a =
slow moving bulky jaeger, you just feel it had to be a pomarine Jaeger.
- Common Terns: Yesterday and Friday I saw only a few terns around but =
today with calmer winds, there were a lot more terns around!
- Scoter species: a single scoter flying way out and landed in the =
choppy water and not providing me with any great views to get a good ID =
of it. It was either a Black or Surf Scoter.

I heard that some birders at Wisconsin Point had a adult Little Gull on =
the Minnesota side and also 2-3 jaeger species.

Had a great afternoon with Jim Otto who is stuck on 297 for the year! =
Leslie Marcus, Julie Calligure, Cory, Jim Egge, John & Chris Hockema and =
Dedrick Benz (felt like old times hanging with the SE Boyz), Jan Green, =
Peter Erickson and several other birders who stopped by. There was this =
young boy (9 yrs old or 10?) with his parents who I was able to show him =
his lifer Parasitic Jaeger and Red-throated Loon, that was highlight of =
my day! =20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C6E028.71F51A80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Right after church mass I =
headed over to=20
Lafayette Square (31st Street) to do some lake scanning for =
jaegers/gulls &amp;=20
terns.&nbsp;&nbsp;I met Jim Otto who was arrived here at 8:30am and I =
also met=20
several birders from all over Minnesota, who like Jim wanted to see the =
jaegers,=20
Sabine's Gulls and Little Gulls.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Highlights of the =
day:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- Red-throated Loon: A adult =
winter=20
plumage bird that I spotted straight out from us.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- Juvenile Sabine's Gull: I =
spotted this=20
lone bird moving towards Canal Park loosely mixed in with some =
Bonaparte's=20
Gulls.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- 2 Adult light morph =
Parasitic Jaegers,=20
1 Juv. intermediate Parasitic Jaeger ( very close to us )</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- 3-4 Jaeger species =
harassing gulls and=20
terns. To far from us to make a ID as to what species they =
were.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- 1 possible Pomarine Jaeger. =
Jim Otto=20
and I spotted this large jaeger harassing a Ring-billed Gull. The =
overall look=20
of this jaeger was the same size as the Ring-billed Gull it was =
harassing. It=20
was a tough call for me to be positive but it sure looked bulky enough =
to be a=20
Pomarine. I guess after seeing multiple views of jaegers all weekend and =
you see=20
a slow moving bulky jaeger, you just feel it had to be a pomarine=20
Jaeger.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- Common Terns: Yesterday and =
Friday I=20
saw only a few terns around but today with calmer winds, there were a =
lot more=20
terns around!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>- Scoter species: a single =
scoter flying=20
way out and landed in the choppy water and not providing me with any =
great views=20
to get a good ID of it. It was either a Black or Surf =
Scoter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I heard that some birders at =
Wisconsin=20
Point had a adult Little Gull on the Minnesota side and also 2-3 jaeger=20
species.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Had a great afternoon with =
Jim Otto who=20
is stuck on 297 for the year! Leslie Marcus, Julie Calligure, Cory, Jim=20
Egge,&nbsp;John &amp; Chris Hockema and Dedrick Benz (felt like old =
times=20
hanging with the SE Boyz), Jan Green, Peter Erickson and several other =
birders=20
who stopped by. There was this young boy&nbsp;(9 yrs old or =
10?)&nbsp;with his=20
parents who I was able to show him his lifer&nbsp;Parasitic Jaeger and=20
Red-throated Loon, that was highlight of my =
day!&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C6E028.71F51A80--