[mou] Lesser Black-backed Gull - Hennepin County

Conny Brunell connybrunell@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:41:15 -0500

------=_NextPart_1699011275348214115628

This afternoon at 3:20pm I enjoyed good looks at the Lesser Black-backed Gull again at Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, Hennepin County.  While driving around the west side of the lake I spotted it standing on the tarp of a moored sailboat named "Dawn Treader" with 3 adult Ring-billed and 2 adult Herring Gulls about 75 feet out.  What a great sight that was to see the Lesser Black-backed Gulls rich/bright yellow legs and feet for a change instead of a bird at rest in the water.  It afforded me the opportunity to see standing side by side comparison with all three adult Gulls, and the dark slate gray mantle of this bird next to the pale light gray of the others could be spotted from some distance away.  They appeared simpatico toward each other just bobbing along on the stern of the sailboat!  I relished this sight for 15 minutes until the sky opened up and it poured.

Also seen at Lake Harriet over the last week have been Common Loons, and good numbers of Horned Grebes and Franklin's Gulls later in the day.  So be sure to check both Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet  in Minneapolis if your looking for these birds.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty.
connybrunell@earthlink.net
------=_NextPart_1699011275348214115628

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2963" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>This afternoon at 3:20pm I enjoyed good looks at the Lesser Black-backed Gull again at Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, Hennepin County.&nbsp; While driving around the west side of the lake I spotted it standing on the tarp of a moored sailboat named "Dawn Treader" with 3 adult Ring-billed and 2 adult Herring Gulls about 75 feet out.&nbsp; What a great sight that was to see&nbsp;the Lesser Black-backed Gulls&nbsp;rich/bright yellow&nbsp;legs and feet&nbsp;for a change instead of a bird at rest in the water.&nbsp; It afforded me the opportunity to see standing side by side comparison with all three adult&nbsp;Gulls, and the dark slate gray mantle of this bird next to the pale light gray of the others could be spotted from some distance away.&nbsp; They appeared simpatico toward each other just bobbing along on the stern of the sailboat!&nbsp; I relished this sight for 15 minutes until the sky opened up and it poured.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>Also seen at Lake Harriet over the last week have been Common Loons, and good numbers of Horned Grebes and Franklin's Gulls later in the day.&nbsp; So be sure to check both Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet&nbsp; in Minneapolis if your looking for these birds.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>Conny Brunell</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2>Richfield, Hennepin Cty.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2><A href="mailto:connybrunell@earthlink.net">connybrunell@earthlink.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif" size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=_NextPart_1699011275348214115628--