[mou] LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Black Dog

Drewbec@aol.com Drewbec@aol.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:17:59 EDT

-------------------------------1159622279

Yesterday at approximately 8:15am, I saw a Lesser Black-backed  Gull on the
west end of Black Dog Lake in Burnsville. Most likely the same  bird previously
reported by Conny Brunell and Paul Budde at Lake Calhoun  or Harriet.

Viewing conditions were very good, and there appeared to be a small  black
spot still present along side the red gonydeal spot on the mandible.  All other
characteristics indicated an "adult" bird in alternate  plumage. I believe
that would indicate this is more correctly a "4th  cycle" bird, or near adult.
Has anyone noticed this on the bird seen in  Hennepin County?

Other gulls present at Black Dog recently have included hundreds of
Ring-billed Gulls, a few Herring Gulls, and very few Franklin's Gulls  (since 9/12).
No Franklin's were seen yesterday morning or later at around  6:00pm. I have
not seen the reported Thayer's Gull, but there are plenty  of birds to look
through to try and find it!

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota  County

-------------------------------1159622279

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>AOL Email</TITLE>
<META content=3Dhttp://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/stationery/objts/c_ppr-st/wcblue.ht=
m=20
name=3DStationery></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMa=
rgin=3D0=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 rightMargin=3D0>
<DIV id=3Drole_document>
<TABLE id=3Drole_layout height=3D"100%" cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D7 widt=
h=3D"100%"=20
align=3Dcenter=20
background=3Dhttp://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/stationery/objts/c_ppr-st/c_ppr/190-wc=
blue=20
border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR height=3D"100%">
    <TD width=3D"100%">
      <DIV id=3Drole_body=20
      style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; HEIGHT:=20=
100%">
      <DIV>Yesterday at approximately 8:15am, I saw&nbsp;a Lesser Black-back=
ed=20
      Gull on the west end of Black Dog Lake in Burnsville. Most likely the=20=
same=20
      bird previously reported by Conny Brunell and Paul Budde at Lake Calho=
un=20
      or Harriet.</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Viewing conditions were very good, and there appeared to be a sma=
ll=20
      black spot still present along side the red gonydeal spot on the mandi=
ble.=20
      All other characteristics indicated an "adult" bird in alternate=20
      plumage.&nbsp;I believe that would indicate this is more correctly a "=
4th=20
      cycle" bird, or near adult. Has anyone noticed this on the bird seen i=
n=20
      Hennepin County?</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Other gulls present at Black Dog recently have included hundreds=20=
of=20
      Ring-billed Gulls, a few Herring Gulls, and very few Franklin's Gulls=20
      (since 9/12). No Franklin's were seen yesterday morning or later at ar=
ound=20
      6:00pm. I have not seen the reported Thayer's Gull, but there are plen=
ty=20
      of birds to look through to try and find it!</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Drew Smith</DIV>
      <DIV>Eagan, Dakota=20
County</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></BODY></HTML>