[mou] Northern Hawk Owl in Duluth / No GC Rosy Finches

Derek Bakken spottedtowhee@gmail.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:55:41 -0600

Hello,

Betsy and I headed up to Duluth today to look for the Gray Crowned Rosy
Finches, Northern Hawk Owl, and to check out the harbor/canal.

The feeders are gone and so are the GCRF.

Common Goldeneyes, Common Mergansers, and Mallards in the canal.
Someone said they saw a female Long Tailed Duck with the Goldeneyes
earlier but I could not relocate it.

The Northern Hawk Owl is still hanging out along Rice Lake Road, just
north of Martin Road, in Duluth (or whatever the town just north of
Duluth is).

It was spotted on a pole along Rice Lake Road (Cty Rd 4) about 100
yards north of the Coffee Cabin and flew across the road to the top of
a tree where it sat the entire I time I watched and photographed it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dobak/387476045/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dobak/387478127/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dobak/387478130/

Since the Hawk Owl was what I really wanted to see, it was a great day.

Derek Bakken
Minneapolis, MN