[mou] NE Minnesota Birding - Spruce Grouse

Joel Claus jclaus13@msn.com
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:56:33 -0600

Spent part of the weekend birding St Louis and Lake counties.  The highlight
was lots of Spruce Grouse!  There were 10 on Lake Cty Rd 2 this morning at
dawn (ran into Linda Sparling there), and 4 more on Hwy 1, 1/4 mile east of
377 (Tomahawk Rd) at 9:15 AM.  Unfortunately, the 4 male Spruce Grouse were
strolling around the body of a fifth that apparently had been hit by a car
just moments before judging from the blood that was still flowing.

Other sightings:
Boreal Chickadee and White-winged Crossbills (short look) along Lake Cty 2

Male Three-toed Woodpecker working a Tamarack right on the edge of Hwy 1, .4
mile west of mile marker 313.  There were good numbers of Common Redpolls,
Pine Siskins, and Pine Grosbeaks in the Isabella area.

I visited Silver Bay and had a great look at the male Varied Thrush at 12:15
PM.  The Catbird and White-throated sparrow that have been reported
previously were present as well.

100 plus Bohemian Waxwings were on the north side of the Hwy 61 expressway
at Larsmont Rd at 2:00 PM.

Saturday - Duluth Northern Hawk Owl was across the street from the coffee
shop at 3:30 PM.  The White-winged Scoter and Long-tailed duck reported at
Canal Park were still present as well.

I also stopped by Carlos Avery on the way home this evening but found it
very quiet between 5 and 6 PM.  No SE Owls to be seen and only one Harrier
for raptors.

A non-bird note; I came across a cow and calf moose crossing Hwy 1 between
Isabella and Finland.  The cow was sporting a tracking collar around her
neck.

Joel Claus
Eden Prairie