[mou] Three-toed Woodpecker Beltrami County

Doug Johnson dougjohn@lsnmlaw.org
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:09:54 -0600

This morning, Monday February 19 Chris Hockema, his brother John, Ben
Frichtman, Jeff Stephenson and others found a Three-toed Woodpecker just
north of Milepost 31 on St. Highway 72 north of Kelliher in Beltrami
County.  I was able to refind the bird later this morning, which bird is
a well colored male with yellow crown patch and considerable well
defined  barring on the back with the back barring on a gray background.
 It was in the old growth stand of tamaracks on the west side of the
highway amidst the many stripped trees.  The woods look to be under
heavy stress from the recent droughts.  It has been over twenty years,
as far as I know,  since the last reliable record for this species in
Beltrami County.  There were also several male Hairy Woodpeckers
present, and one with an especially large amount of white on the back