[mou] Lake Hiawatha

Diana Doyle diana@managingthewaterway.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:06:04 -0600

--Apple-Mail-9-666203071
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

In the spirit of posting birds one often sees and starts to take for
granted, here's the report from Lake Hiawatha, Minneapolis.

We're regularly seeing a NORTHERN SHOVELER along ice-free Minnehaha
Creek, as well as a WOOD DUCK and two AM. BLACK DUCKS (and hundreds
of mallards, of course). It's the latest in the winter season I've
seen these three species along the creek.

The BROWN CREEPERS were peeping everywhere this afternoon, feeding on
the river birch that line the creek. One of our resident minks walked
along the creek edge.

An adult BALD EAGLE was perched on the ice edge on the lake, largely
ignored by the hundreds of crows that are roosting along the lake at
the golf course. Today I took more time to watch the crows, having
just finishing the book "In the Company of Crows and Ravens"--a good
read for the crow-admirers and crow-haters among us.

Diana Doyle
Hennepin County

"The way a crow/Shook down on me/The dust of snow/From a hemlock tree/
Has given my heart/A change of mood/And saved some part/Of a day I
had rued"
-From Robert Frost, "A Dust of Snow"

--Apple-Mail-9-666203071

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">In the spirit of posting birds =
one often sees and starts to take for granted, here's the report from =
Lake Hiawatha, Minneapolis.<DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>We're regularly seeing a =
NORTHERN SHOVELER along ice-free Minnehaha Creek, as well as a WOOD DUCK =
and two AM. BLACK DUCKS (and hundreds of mallards, of course). It's the =
latest in the winter season I've seen these three species along the =
creek.</DIV><DIV><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>The =
BROWN CREEPERS were peeping everywhere this afternoon, feeding on the =
river birch that line the creek. One of our resident minks walked along =
the creek edge.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>An adult BALD EAGLE was =
perched on the ice edge on the lake, largely ignored by the hundreds of =
crows that are roosting along the lake at the golf course. Today I took =
more time to watch the crows, having just finishing the book "In the =
Company of Crows and Ravens"--a good read for the crow-admirers and =
crow-haters among us.=A0</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Diana =
Doyle</DIV><DIV>Hennepin County</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><I>"The way a crow/Shook =
down on me/The dust of snow/=46rom a hemlock tree/</I></DIV><DIV><I>Has =
given my heart/A change of mood/And saved some part/Of a day I had =
rued"</I></DIV><DIV>-=46rom Robert Frost, "A Dust of =
Snow"</DIV><DIV><DIV><SPAN class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></SPAN> =
<BR></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-9-666203071--