[mou] Cooper's Hawk on the feeder

Bill Bruins wbruins@earthlink.net
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:56:51 -0600

While eating lunch today, movement in the back yard caught my
attention. A COOPER'S HAWK had made an attempt at something in the
yard but apparently was unsuccessful. It ten flew from the ground to
the top of our pole feeder and slowly scanned the yard for other
opportunities. Seeing none it flew off after a couple of minutes. A
few minutes later it returned to sit on a branch in the burr oak. A
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE found the hawk and spent a minute harassing
it, circling the hawk by flying from branch to branch a few feet
away. It stayed in the tree for about 15 minutes before flying off to
the north in pursuit of something.

The Carolina Wren last made a visit on 4 January at 2:15 PM.

O. William Bruins
1538 11th Avenue NE
Rochester, MN 55906-4213
wbruins@earthlink.net
507-281-1607 - home
507-261-6837 - cell (not always turned on)