[mou] Fw: Falconer at 180th Street today

jeffbirds jeffbirds@charter.net
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:09:09 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C74164.4FDF7C90

Jerry Pruett, Chuck Krulas, John Hockema, and I went looking for the =
good birds that have been appearing in the Hastings region today. Among =
the birds we searched for was the Gyrfalcon that has been seen around =
180th Street. When we stopped at around 2PM we noticed an SUV parked in =
the field to the south of 180th. I then noticed a raptor flying away =
from the vehicle. We all got out and watched a falcon soar around the =
field for a while and then land at the feet of the person at the SUV. It =
then hopped onto his hand so we assumed that he was a falconer and it =
was his bird. We then observed him put the bird away and begin flying a =
kite for a while. We assumed that he must have been trying to attract =
the wild Gyrfalcon that has regularly been reported as being seen there. =
Maybe there was some other reason for fly this small falcon sized kite =
but we couldn' t think of one. So it raises the question as to whether a =
falconer is legally allowed to trap a wild Gyrfalcon? Maybe this person =
was also a bander and was trying to lure in the bird to band it? Anyway =
I guess I would prefer the Gyrfalcon that many have enjoyed watching be =
left alone. If there is anyone out there that knows the regulations =
perhaps they would publish an email on the listserve about this subject. =
I did get the persons license plate if they were breaking any game laws =
but I don't know anything about the falconer regulations.

Jeff Stephenson
Rochester, Mn, Olmsted County
Phone: 507 289 7635je
------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C74164.4FDF7C90

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jerry Pruett, Chuck Krulas, John =
Hockema, and I=20
went looking for the good birds that have been appearing in the Hastings =
region=20
today. Among the birds we searched for was the Gyrfalcon that has been =
seen=20
around 180th Street. When we stopped at around 2PM we noticed an SUV =
parked in=20
the field to the south of 180th. I then noticed a raptor flying away =
from the=20
vehicle. We all got out and watched a falcon soar around the field for a =
while=20
and then land at the feet of the person at the SUV. It then hopped onto =
his hand=20
so we assumed that he was a falconer and it was his bird. We then =
observed him=20
put the bird away and begin flying a kite for a while. We assumed that =
he must=20
have been trying to attract the wild Gyrfalcon that has regularly been =
reported=20
as being seen there. Maybe there was some other reason for fly this =
small falcon=20
sized kite but we couldn' t think of one. So it raises the question as =
to=20
whether a falconer is legally allowed to trap a wild Gyrfalcon? Maybe =
this=20
person was also a bander and was trying to lure in the bird to band it? =
Anyway I=20
guess I would prefer the Gyrfalcon that many have enjoyed watching be =
left=20
alone. If there is anyone out there that knows the regulations perhaps =
they=20
would publish an email on the listserve about this subject. I did get =
the=20
persons license plate if they were breaking any game laws but I don't =
know=20
anything about the falconer regulations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jeff Stephenson<BR>Rochester, Mn, =
Olmsted=20
County<BR>Phone: 507 289 7635je</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C74164.4FDF7C90--