[mou] Hennepin Bell's Vireo - Update

Howard Towle towle at mail.ahc.umn.edu
Sat Jul 7 09:38:38 CDT 2007

The Bell's Vireo reported near Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis was
present on Saturday morning from 7:30-8:15 AM. The bird was singing
actively (except when the jets were roaring by directly overhead) and
followed exactly the same pattern described by Paul Budde yesterday
(pasted below). This guy seems to be on  territory and, as far as I
could see, it was another case of unrequited love.

Howard Towle
Golden Valley, MN

**************************

Pasted from Paul Budde's message:

Still present today at 11 AM, in the previously described location.
 From 54th St and Lake Nokomis Parkway on the west side of Cedar Ave,
there is a side walking path towards the lake (going east).  The
northernmost point at which I heard the vireo was where this side
path meets the main path.  I followed it southward on this path with
the lake to the east and a marshy area to the west all the way to
where the path makes a sharp left turn and there is a small wooden
bridge.  At this point it was singing from some coniferous trees
(with a small deciduous tree growing in the middle of it).  This
entire area is the extreme SW corner of the lake, all of it on the
west side of Cedar Ave.

Thanks to Don Wanschura for finding the bird and to Tony Hertzel for
passing along the information.

Paul Budde

Minneapolis