[mou] Chaska Lake

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:24:04 CDT 2007

Chaska Lake still has a decent number of shorebirds though numbers seem to
be down from previous postings.   I estimated 100-125 total with the
majority being Kildeer and Lesser Yellowlegs.  Also there: Greater
Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper(possibly Semipalmated legs seemed dark but the
lighting wasn't the best), Baird's Sandpiper,  and Solitary Sandpiper.    A
lone shorebird I saw went unidentified.  It was too far for me to identify.
   My general description- a large, fat, and  darkly spotted(patterned above
and below) shorebird.   It's bill curved downward slightly but was not
excessively long. It's legs were completely submerged while it's body was
above water.  It was larger than the Lesser Yellowlegs.  Unfortunately, the
Greater Yellowlegs were close so I didn't have a good comparison in size.
My shorebird identification skills aren't the best so please bear with me.
Everything surrounding the lake was normal, though I did have a dead tree
with 4 immature Rose-breasted Grosbeaks really checking me out.

John