[mou] FW: Ornithologists

Mark Mulhollam mulho005@tc.umn.edu
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:48:20 -0600

Is the below true or just a good story?

Mark Mulhollam
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mulho005

-----Original Message-----
From: National Birding Hotline Cooperative (Chat Line)
[mailto:BIRDCHAT@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]On Behalf Of JIM TURNER
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:41 PM
To: BIRDCHAT@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Rd: Ornithologists

I was told this anecdote while birding in Duluth, and cannot vouch for its
truthfulness.  In any case, my memory would mangle the details worse, and
my apologies to anyone whose toes get stepped on.  But here goes.
   It seems that a dark Ibis was seen byt birders in both Duluth and
Superior, which made at least one pass between Wisconsin and Minnesota, in
view by all the whole time.  Competent birders disputed whether it was a
Glossy or a White-faced, and finally agreed on the former, anbd submitted
their documentation to both states.  Minnesota's Ornithological Society
disputed it, and on the basis of a single prior sighthing of a White-faced
at the opposite corner of the state, concluded that it was the second
state record of a White-faced, .  Wisconsin, being further east, agreed
that Glossy was more probable, and admitted it as a first state record.
So the same individual bird, seen at the same time in two states, has now
become a precedent for future acceptance of records of two different
species in two different states.

   Jim Turner || Traverse City, Michigan || havivoca @ yahoo.com

BirdChat Guidelines: http://www.ksu.edu/audubon/chatguidelines.html
Archives: http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdchat.html