[mou] Re: [mnbird] FW: Ornithologists

Laura Erickson chickadee.erickson@gmail.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:39:42 -0600

------=_Part_82987_7217603.1172806782294

I think the true story was that a Pomerine Jaeger was seen flying between
the two states--it was sometime in the 80s.  Kim Eckert and I, and maybe
Mike Hendrickson, wrote it up--Mike drew a picture of the tail.  But the
tail feathers didn't stick out very far, and although they were quite
rounded at the tip, the Wis committee thought it was at least possible that
the feathers had broken off and could have worn in a rounded pattern.  (At
the time, there weren't the books available with such detailed descriptions
as are available now.)  The MOU committee accepted it as a Pomerine, perhaps
influenced at least a bit by Kim's great knowledge and experience with both
species. (Pomerine was a lifer for me.)   At first the Wisconsin committee
counted it as Parasitic, but I believe they changed that to Jaeger spp.

Laura Erickson

--
Laura Erickson
www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There
is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the
assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

--Rachel Carson

------=_Part_82987_7217603.1172806782294

I think the true story was that a Pomerine Jaeger was seen flying between the two states--it was sometime in the 80s.&nbsp; Kim Eckert and I, and maybe Mike Hendrickson, wrote it up--Mike drew a picture of the tail.&nbsp; But the tail feathers didn&#39;t stick out very far, and although they were quite rounded at the tip, the Wis committee thought it was at least possible that the feathers had broken off and could have worn in a rounded pattern.&nbsp; (At the time, there weren&#39;t the books available with such detailed descriptions as are available now.)&nbsp; The MOU committee accepted it as a Pomerine, perhaps influenced at least a bit by Kim&#39;s great knowledge and experience with both species. (Pomerine was a lifer for me.)&nbsp;&nbsp; At first the Wisconsin committee counted it as Parasitic, but I believe they changed that to Jaeger spp.

------=_Part_82987_7217603.1172806782294--