[mou] Owl Avenue: R.I.P.

sparky stensaas sparkystensaas@hotmail.com
Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:34:01 +0000

<P>What is especially upsetting about this logging is that St. Louis County and state Foresters KNEW THIS WAS AN IMPORTANT BIRDING AREA. After the Owl Invasion of 2004-2005 there were meetings in Cotton to brainstorm on how Sax-Zim could cater to birders and bring in tourism dollars to the local communities. The foresters&nbsp;were at several meetings alongside the MN DNR Nongame, local business owners and birders. They heard the excitement of the locals, of the birders, of the Non game DNR...But the foresters attitude from the start was on of "You can tell us the value of this area but we are going to log where we want." Their solution was always to send birders to other areas where these birds could be found. The arrogance was obvious and unproductive to the goals of the meeting.<BR><BR>I'm also upset with myself and the birding community for not seeing the handwriting on the wall and