[mou] Owl Avenue: R.I.P.

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:10:50 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C76233.36E9E1E0

While I agree there was a lot of enthusiasm by businesses to invite =
birders up, there's no way the businesses are going to get the same =
traffic that they did during that monumental irruption of 2004 - 2005.  =
Birders love Sax Zim Bog, but let's face it, we go where the birds are.  =
Much of the owl activity being reported this winter came from Hedbom =
Road.

I guided a lot birders from all over and it wasn't even a owl irruption =
year.  The Hedbom Road was hot in mid December thru early January for =
viewing Great Gray Owls but after early January  Great Gray Owls =
sightings nose dived to the point the only reason to go to the HedBom =
Road was to view woodpeckers and redpolls.  The most consistent spot to =
see both species of crossbills were along the Blue Spruce Road in Sax =
Zim and of course the best spot to view Boreal Chickadees were along Owl =
Avenue, Arkola Rd and Blue Spruce Rd in Sax Zim Bog.  Yes we go where =
the birds are but that doesn't limited us to just bird the Hedbom =
Logging Trail Rd as Sax Zim Bog had numerous sightings of both species =
of woodpeckers, Sharp-tailed Grouse and winter finches.=20

Also just because birders were birding the Hedbom Rd doesn't mean the =
businesses in Meadowlands didn't miss us birders! I and Kim Eckert each =
received a email from a community leader in Meadowlands asking where are =
the birders?   =20

 was at those same meetings and I never got the impression that they =
were not going to log Owl Avenue.  The message that I got from those =
meetings was that the logging would happen throughout the bog for pest =
control or for money and that there would be other areas for watching =
the birds, the location would shift from year to year.

Other birding areas and where would that be?  The birding location would =
shift from year to year? What?  So lets open the bog along Owl Avenue =
for logging and push birders to some other spot to view birds. Then =
after the birders get to see their birds in the other location lets open =
that area up for logging and push birders to some other location!  Wow =
that makes sense to me! Eventually birders will have no other place to =
bird because there are only a few pockets of bog in the Sax Zim Bog =
area!!!!!!!!  I suppose at these meeting the people who were there =
accepted that idiotic logic!  If I was at these meetings I would of been =
asked to leave after hearing that BS!=20

That is why I am personally getting more involve with the people in Sax =
Zim Bog area to get some things done rather than just talk about things! =

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Lake Superior Boat Trips
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  I was at those same meetings and I never got the impression that they =
were not going to log Owl Avenue.  The message that I got from those =
meetings was that the logging would happen throughout the bog for pest =
control or for money and that there would be other areas for watching =
the birds, the location would shift from year to year.

  While I agree there was a lot of enthusiasm by businesses to invite =
birders up, there's no way the businesses are going to get the same =
traffic that they did during that monumental irruption of 2004 - 2005.  =
Birders love Sax Zim Bog, but let's face it, we go where the birds are.  =
Much of the owl activity being reported this winter came from Hedbom =
Road. =20

  Sharon Stiteler
  www.birdchick.com
  Minneapolis, MN