[mou] Lake Byllesby

Leo leodwm@comcast.net
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:30:55 -0500

Hello all.
    Took our first trip out in quite awhile down to Lake Byllesby in
search of quacking birds.
We first drove to the picnic area on the south side of the lake, finding
a few scattered Horned Larks in the fields, but found the water at the
boat ramp to be completely frozen and devoid of ducks.
    We headed over to the west end vantage point after that and found
conditions much nicer. We almost immediately found about four (there may
be more) Greater White-fronted Geese beyond the cat-tails to the south.
Scattered off to the north side of the view were many, many ducks. Geese
and mallards crowded the majority of the lake, but there were a good
number of others there as well. Among them were:
Gadwalls
American Widgeons
Canvasbacks
A few Redheads, but we lost them
Lesser Scaup
Many, many Ring-necked Ducks
A good number of Northern Pintails
Quite a large number of Common Goldeneye
A single Common Merganser male.

We looked hard, but couldn't find any of the Snow Geese reported earlier.
    Nice trip for duckin'!

- Leo WM