[mou] Leconte's, Spring Lake Park

linda birds@moosewoods.us
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:42:20 -0500

On the river, at the archery unit, Jen Vieth, Vivien Neiger and I were
treated to good, long looks at a Leconte's sparrow--a lifer for me. It
perched at length in the shrubs right at the water's edge in front of
the bench, so we were able to do a book consult to confirm identity.

Along with the expected waterfowl and raptors, other treats followed:
flocks of pelicans and tundra swans. Among the swans was a single goose,
medium gray with dark gray edges at the back of the wings (a snow
goose?). There were also tree swallows and song sparrows.

Vivien and I did a quick stop at the Pine Bend SNA, where we saw an
Eastern phoebe and a fox sparrow, along with the usual residents.

Linda Whyte