[mou] Dakota Cty spring arrivals - Swan ID confusion

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc@gmail.com
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:16:21 -0600

------=_Part_134386_20010332.1174875381910

Hello birders,
Out enjoying the glorious spring morning at Thompson Cty park, 140th and
180th street marshes I observed the following:

Thompson:
Great Egrets
Wood Ducks
Red-wing blackbirds
several other expected species

140th:
E. Meadowlark
Killdeer
Fox sparrow (in parking area)
Song sparrows
juncos galore
Am. Tree Sparrows
E. Phoebe - thanks Mike Lentz

Green-wing teal
Blue-wing teal
Bufflehead
several other expected species

180th (or on the way)
Horned larks
E. Bluebird
Kestrel pair
Ring-neck ducks
N. Shovelers
Large flock (~50) of swans way north of marsh

5 swans landing in marsh - a group of two close to road and a group of 3 way
out there.  I admit I was not up on my swan ID and was confused as I believe
they were Tundras, but am not sure.

Cynthia Reimer also observed them and Mike Lentz was there photographing
them and got a few good pictures. I encouraged him to post them and report
to the list with a link. One appeared to have yellow lores in a photo but it
was really hard to see that through binos or my scope. I did observe them
dipping their heads which I later learned is a sign of a trumpeter.  It was
quite windy and their backs appeared evenly rounded, another trumpeter sign.
It was hard to judge relative neck length.  If the photos get posted, maybe
that will solve the mystery.

Not as exciting as a Black vulture, but still a pretty good day learning
more about birds and meeting great birders!

---
Sincerely,

Jim on the Westside

651-308-0234 business cell

"A man who dares to waste an hour of time has not discovered the value of
life." - Charles Darwin

------=_Part_134386_20010332.1174875381910

Blue-wing teal<br>

------=_Part_134386_20010332.1174875381910--