[mou] Otter Tail Co Birds

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:10:03 -0500

Some excellent waterfowl diversity is being seen at "Horse Pasture Slough"
in Glendalough State Park (central Otter Tail County).  Jeff Schultz, who
tipped us off, saw the following yesterday: Common and Hooded Mergansers,
Common Goldeneye, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Mallard, Wood Duck,
American Shoveler, Gadwall, American Wigeon, and Pintail.  Today we saw most
of the same and added Canvasback, Bufflehead, Green-winged and Blue-winged
Teal to make 15 species.  A flock of Snow Geese (90) passed overhead.  Also,
Pied-billed Grebe and American Coot were at the same location.  There is
very little open water in the area, so this wide spot on the creek between
Annie Battle Lake and Blanche Lake is a magnet.

Other weekend birds: Tundra Swans and Greater White-fronted Geese have also
been moving through.  But our favorite:  last night about 9:30, a singing
Northern Saw-whet Owl was heard from our deck!

--
Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Battle Lake MN