[mou] Bagley Farm Report-long

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Sat Apr 26 18:55:27 CDT 2008

A most awful day...We are snowbound at the farm, maybe we can find
someone to plow us out tomorrow. For the migrants recently arrived
the weather is downright dangerous. We have had a minimum of 12" of
snow here, it is still falling and blowing viciously. I measured
drifts 3' deep. I have gone out three times today to spread fresh
seed on top of the snow in sheltered areas for the hordes. There must
be 400-500 birds foraging around the house.

Two species in particular are having a very difficult time with the
weather conditions. Rusty Blackbirds and Swamp Sparrows. Clumps of
snow are freezing onto the toes of a few the Rusty's making it
difficult for them to walk. The Swamp Sparrows just look plain
miserable. I found one snow covered and huddled near the foundation
of the house, not sure it will make it...

Observed today:
Mourning Dove
Hairy & Downey Woodpecker
Blue Jay