[mou] Red Crossbills Itasca County

sparky stensaas sparkystensaas at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:41:37 CST 2008

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I was skate skiing at the Blueberry Ski Trails north of Deer River yesterday when I heard the call note of Red Crossbills. I pished loudly and about 25 birds came in quite close. This was at the top of the hill on the Lake Loop on the skating trail...about 3 km from the parking area. (Awesome skate skiing, by the way)

How to find Red Crossbills in Northern MN:
1. Find a fairly large stand of MATURE Red Pine (older the better)
2. Pishhh as loud as you can! They will come right in.

Sparky Stensaas

2515 Garthus Road

Wrenshall, MN 55797

218.341.3350 cell