[mou] Store-bought nectar vs. sugar and water

Todd Merefield tjmerf74 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 15:26:02 CDT 2008

Does anyone have an opinion whether hummingbirds prefer the store bought red nectar or just plain old 4 parts water to 1 part sugar?

I am not having any luck attracting them to my feeders.  I have seen a few females in the yard feeding on my flowers, but they don't even go up to the feeders, which have been out since May.  I was using water and sugar.  My feeders are the saucer shaped ones with perches.   I recently switched to a mix I bought from Home Depot.  It's been in there for about a week and still nothing.

Last year I put my first hummingbird feeder up in late July (a different style feeder than those that I have now ... it broke).  I used the red store-bought nectar.  There were regular visits daily from Ruby-Throats from mid August until mid September.

Anybody else having problems this year?