[mou] staying in there

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Mon May 5 20:09:54 CDT 2008

Decided, based on input and some delightful comments, that I would
continue posting on MOU.  I think Mike's explanation helped clear
things up in my mind - as did Mark's.

Went out birding today along the Eagle Lake next to my townhouse, just
southwest of 169-94 intersection.  I have to say this about Yellow-
rumps, they are plentiful and I think I understand my past disdain for
them by the time the other warblers come to town.  I used to get so
frustrated that practically every bird I would eagerly pursue with the
absence of leaves was a YR.  This year I am in appreciation.  I went
out today and just kept looking and the value of the YRs came out.
Anything that looks different from them stands out like a lightning
bolt.  That is how I saw several of the following today - (please note
the list - I am trying)

Yellow-rumped Warblers (where credit is due) - many
Ruby-Crowned Kinglets - many but they are cuter...small bill and all
FOY Yellow Warbler - Yeehawww!!! - one
Palm Warblers - several
Black and White Warbler - one
Great Egret - several
Little Green Heron - one
Ring-necked Pheasant - one male
Oven Bird - one
Marsh Wren - one but has been there every day, same place for the past
week
Cooper's Hawk - same one but working on nest number 5 - that is one
picky female
Lincoln's Sparrows - surprising numbers
Song Sparrows - all over
Horned Grebes - still good numbers
Double-Crested Cormorants - big, big flocks flying in several "V"s
Ruddy Ducks - many
Coots - tons
Buffleheads - several
Lesser Scaups - several
Common Loons - two
and a bunch of the regulars only more brilliantly colored.

MOU rocks - you go, Silent Majority, you!!!
MnBird rocks - didn't know your focus was on the SE part of the
state.  I always post at both sites anyway.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN