[mou] Short-eared Owls

Kelly Larson larson@redwing.net
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:51:40 -0500

I have a friend who recently purchased a home in Ramsey County. From the
description he gave, it has good habitat - nearby pond, grassland and
wooded areas. He contacted me several days ago very excited about the
owls in his "backyard". From his description of size, appearance and
habits I can only conclude that he has a pair of Short-eared Owls. He
sees them regularly in the mornings from his living room window.
Sometimes perched on a Bluebird house, sometimes cruising the meadow
around the pond. He has heard them vocalize and after a little web
research believes the calls to be those of Short-eared.
What is the breeding status of this owl in Ramsey Cty?

--
Kelly Larson
Feathered Friend Wild Bird Store

Visit Our Website