[mou] ROCK WRENS NESTING IN CLAY CO

sparky stensaas sparkystensaas@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:58:15 +0000

<DIV class=RTE>9:30 to 10:45 am</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>The pair of Rock Wrens at the Aggregate Industries gravel pit in the Felton Prairie appear to have nested.</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>First bird appears with a caterpillar in its beak and works its way to the nest site and disappears, reappearing without the caterpillar. He perches and sings as the second bird (presumably the female) emerges from the nest site. I back off and watch from behind some weeds from about 40 yards away. They both disappear for about five minutes when she&nbsp;skulks back&nbsp;to nest site and disappears. He returns five minutes later to the nest site with another caterpillar and goes inside, emerging ten seconds later without the caterpillar. He again perches, sings and flies off.</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>The nest site is NOT on rock pile #6006. I think it would be best if the nest location is not given here.</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>