[mou] Lark Bunting is now shy!

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:15:12 -0500

I been reading about this Lark Bunting lately in Springfield, Brown County
and I am very curious about the ID of this bird.

One a Lark Bunting is a grassland/prairie bird and seeing a Lark Bunting fly
on top of a large Cottonwood Tree than after the bird stops singing it flies
into a corn field. To me that sounds like a Bobolink. A Bobolink is a black
bird with white on its back and wings. A side view without seeing the yellow
patch behind the head would make anyone think they are seeing a Lark
Bunting.

Also all Lark Buntings except one Lark Bunting that found its way into
Minnesota were found near feeders or found in a prairie. A lark Bunting was
found at Stony Pt along the northshore but this bird was sick and had one
eye. It spent most of its time in low shrubs or on the dirt road.

Also some Redwing Blackbird adult males can have a slice of white where the
red patch is and a side view will make anyone feel they are looking at a
Lark Bunting.

So far 2 birders posted that they chased the bird and spent quite a long
time there and saw no Lark Bunting. The only one that has seen this bird is
Nathan Wersal. I would suggest that Nathan write a complete detail
description of this bird, which includes drawings and other field marks and
send it to MOURC. I also suggest that Nathan take some pictures of this bird
or a video of it.

I would love to proven wrong and I hope its a Lark Bunting but I have
doubts. The reason I have doubts because I have not read what Nathan sees on
this bird to make it a Lark Bunting other than a song description. Again I
am just curious about this bird and hopefully it is a Lark Bunting.

Mike H.
Duluth
St. Louis Co.