[mou] Tom Soulen hospitalized

Ann and Manley Olson a_molson@unidial.com
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:36:55 -0500

I am sorry to have to report to Tom's many birding friends that he has
been hospitalized for over two weeks.I have been out-of town for most of
that time but I did not find any indication that the news had been
posted.I  spoke with his son Peter on Sunday night.Tom's condition is
still serious but improving.He will likely not be released for another
two weeks.The family has asked that additional information not be
released at this time and visitation is limited.
Wisconsin birders know Tom best as the long-time editor of Summer
seasonal reports.However he has lived in Minnesota for 40 years and is
an active member of the Minnesota birding scene as well.
Tom retired last year as Professor of Plant Biology at the U of
Minnesota and in May he retired from a 35 year position directing a
church choir. He and Marilyn then traveled to Ireland and Scotland with
a church group.While it was not a birding trip,the one conversation I
had with him about it indicated that he had managed to get a fair amount
of birding in.
With his choir position ended and his Summer,2003 Passenger Pigeon
report writen,Tom was looking forward to more time in the field.His
latest posts were of a Western Grebe he saw in Ramsey County and an
unsuccessful search for a Lark Bunting reported in Northwest Wisconsin.
I will send updates as I have them as I know Tom has many friends in
both Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Manley Olson
St Paul MN