[mou] Least SPs in Brown Cty

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:36:48 EDT

I observed a group of 16 Least Sandpipers in a flooded part of a field just
south of Hwy 14 on Brown Cty. 11 (.1 or .2 mile).  The field (on the east side
of the road) looks like it could be good for several days.  The light was good
and allowed me to note the brighter reddish brown color on the scapulars. The
scapular feathers had dark centers and were edged with white, making the
birds (I believe) juveniles.
I was in the area to see the Common Moorhen family reported by Brian Smith.
I was able to get a quick look at the 2 youngsters before mom hustled them
into the reeds.  They are on the north side of Hwy 14 east of Essig - same
location since they were 1st reported.
Also - one Franklin's Gull at the Sleepy Eye Sewage ponds - adult breeding
plumage.

Good birding!  Fall migration - oh my!

Linda Sparling
Hennepin Cty