[mou] Douglas Cnty Young Birds (Long)Albany sewage

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:42:21 EDT

Spent parts of Sat & this AM poking around Douglas County. Saw two pair of
Red-necked Grebes, one of the Grebes on nest on a small lake in N central
Douglas. Saw a BCNight Heron in a pond with a 2/3 size juvenile in NC Douglas. Saw
two SHCranes with a half-size juvenile in Belle River township. Also in Belle
River I saw an adult Am. Woodcock in the road with two young. I'd never seen a
Woodcock walking, let alone three of them at once, expecially in the road. Nor
did I quite believe that I ever would have, nor do I ever think I will again.
I stopped the car immediately (this is essentially a one-lane dirt road) and
killed the engine and we each(all) looked at the other(s). When a woodcock
walks across a road when it is looking a a car 10 feet away its body undulates in
the strangest way and not in time with each step, but to its own undulating
rhythm. The first young skittered across into the weeds but the second and the
adult took fully four or five minutes to make it across the road with this
strange walk and would have taken longer but I finally started the car and began
inching forward and they finally skittered along the edge of the road and into
the weeds. If anyone has seen anything like this before, please let me know.
I still can't quite believe it happened. Woodcock should stick to flying.
(Just an opinion.)
    Saw a few shorebirds, a solitary, L.Yellowlegs, Pectorals and a few
Peeps. Albany sewage had a Spotted and two non-breeding plumage Wilson's Phalaropes.