[mou] Upland Sandpiper Sherburne NWA, shorebird question +

Pastor Al PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:48:25 -0500

Very active Upland Sandpiper near the entrance to Sherburne NWA's Auto Tour
on Saturday morning, landed within five feet of my vehicle (in addition to
calling overhead, landing on a stump for great scope views etc).  My
apologies for the late post, but only back in the office this morning.

Also had at least one Red-headed Woodpecker, flying on one occasion, calling
on another on Mille Lacs 12, one hearing 1/2 mile west of 169, one sighting
a mile west.  Sunday evening had a possible (outline only due to lack of
light) American Bittern fly over 169 about four miles north of Princeton.

Fewer species heard or sighted this weekend in the Sherburne NWA area,
dropped from 80's (on average since May) to low 60's.  Guess there's not as
much to sing about anymore!  (The amount of horse flies on the trails may
also have impacted this birder's abilities.)

Question:  are there any shorebird locations within an hour or so of
Princeton that are active right now?  Has anyone stopped at Carlos Avery
recently?  My year MN shorebird list has many vacancies currently!

Good birding to all.

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties