[mou] Arizona birdimg guides

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:11:03 -0500

You don't really need a guide.  Its pretty easy to do that area without =
one.  The couple guides around there are very expensive (Though if you =
truly want one, their names are Stuart Healy (www.aztrogon.com), or Melody =
Kehl (dont remember her web address), or you could even try Rich Hoyer of =
Wings..he lives there...he'd provbably be leading a tour in January, but =
you never know.  He's about as expensive, or maybe slightly more so than =
the other two.  One idea is to drive down to Sierra Vista, stay in a hotel =
there (There are several decent ones.  I stayed in the Fairfield hotel off =
of Hwy 92).  From there you can go to Ramsey Canyon, Miller Canyon, and =
the Huachucas to Garden Canyon.  All are within 15 minutes or so of the =
hotel I mentioned.  Another choice would be to drive down from Tuscon to =
Madera Canyon and overnight there.  There are plenty of trails to explore =
up above Santa Rita lodge, and the feeders around the lodge as well. =20

There won't be any trogons around in January except possibly at Patagonia =
Lake which would be relatively on your way to Sierra Vista.  You could =
find out if a Trogon is overwintering there by following the AZ-NM list =
server.  One has the last 2 years that I know of.  Most of the SE AZ =
specialties are not around in the winter.  There definitely won't be any =
Flame Colored Tanagers around.  They have historically shown up in mid =
April.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD (UDLP-GSD for 6 mo)
Fridley, MN (San Jose, CA for 6 mo.)
(763) 572-5320
(408) 289-3840 (For the next 6 months)
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> Ann and Manley Olson <a_molson@unidial.com> 07/28/2004 13:34:12 PM >>>
In January I will be attending a conference in Tucson.I will have only=20
one full day and most of a second free to bird. ABA publications carry=20
ads from guides. Does anyone have any recommendatons or experience they=20
would be willing to share about any guide service?I have spent a week =
of=20
Spring birding in SE Arizona about ten years ago and birded around the=20
edges of a conference in Tempe in the Fall but since I have such a=20
limited time I would like to make the most of it.
Thank you for any ideas you might have.
Manley Olson