[mou] Peter Getman-MOU Contributor Communique'

Bill Keitel bill.keitel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 08:30:18 CST 2007

M.O.U.  -  Communique'

   He showed me my first and only Marbled Godwit.  On other occasions, he
sat completed entranced, doing chirps, whistles, wheezes and
chortles,(leaning out the car window)  emulating the songs of redwing and
yellowheaded blackbirds in a marsh east of the Blue Mound, hoping for a call
and response.   All of these audible theatrics went on without any regard to
the amazed and perplexed passengers in his vehicle.
 Peter was resolute in creating a perfect rendition of these two species of
birds, birds  that are known for having the some of the ,most varied songs
of any bird on the northern great plains.   No one else in Southern
Minnesota could come close to his abilities to mimic these birds and many
others.   We sat amused... and amazed.

    (it is my recollection-) Peter help document the first (blue grosbeaks?
or some other species?) into Southern Minnesota?  He had the fortune to work
for a while at the Smithsonian and assisted in restoring a national
treasure, The John Audubons bird collection.  His expertise was in ""museum
taxidermy."......not taxidermy.   If you had ever walked into the Minnesota
Science Museum.....you may well have passed under the flock of Trumpeter
Swans in the lobby entrance.....they were his.    He didn't stoop to "game
hunting" taxidermy ( where the money is)   he spent his time with
chickadees, hummingbirds,avocets and red shafted flickers and upland
sandpipers.  The smaller the bird, the harder to create a realistic
rendition.  I recall his careful preening of these minute feathers, done
with the aid of a tooth pick..or even a needle.

 Peters chickadee (days in the making) was a bird on one foot, hiked high in
the air as it prepares to bear all its meager force onto the shell of a
sunflower seed.....in hopes of cracking it........ah,..... sustenance.

Peters life was birds, his birds can be seen at some of the most prestigious
museums,

   Peter died today.....tomorrow when I walk.....I'll listen for his birds.

--
Bill Keitel-404 Lake St. - Sailboard Beach
Worthington, Minnesota 56187

www.buffalobillfoldcompany.com

United States Windsurfing  VP
www.worthingtonwindsurfing.com