[mou] Male Harlequin Ducks, only for those interested, Pierce County WI and Dakota County MN

SCOTT MEYER scottandjudy3 at msn.com
Tue Dec 25 16:54:44 CST 2007

Jim Otto and I went to Prescott at noon to see if we could compare the plumage between the two Male Harlequin ducks.  Jim found the more colorful Male in the Prescott Marina.  We watched the bird go from the MN side to almost the shore of the WI side, which gave us excellent viewing.  In comparing our field notes, Jim and I feel that this is a Mature Male that is 3/4 to a full breeding plumage.  It is still lacking the full white back stripes and full russet sides.  This is much more developed than the other Male which may be a first year bird.

I must be dyslexics when it comes to the Barrow's or the Hybrid because I still haven't seen any of them.  This could have been augmented by the heavy snow storm we subsequently were enveloped in.

Scott Meyer
Richfield MN