[mou] Where to find Red Crossbills in Pine County

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt at bestbuy.com
Sun Dec 30 05:30:34 CST 2007

I have gotten some requests for Crossbills spots in Pine County.....Go up Hwy 23 from Banning Junction 20+ miles to Nickerson, turn right on "main street" and proceed through "town" till you approach the Railroad tracks. There are tall Red Pines on both sides of the road about 50 yards before the tracks. We had a flock of 26 feeding "small-billed" Red Crossbills in the tops of these trees. They fed there and also moved to the distant stand of Red Pines to the north along the ridge. After you cross over the tracks further east, turn left and proceed past the pond, then pasture, then cemetery on your right. Just past the cemetery on the right is the stand of Red Pine and Norway Spruce that we had the larger-billed Flock in. Familiarize yourself with their Kip-kip calls and get out and listen for these, as well as scan all trees for finch activity at their tops - Red Crossbills may appear much smaller than you may think they are if you have not seen them before. I was back further in the bog and found more flocks, to do so - focus on stands of Red Pines and Norway Spruce, and be mindful that some flocks were not calling much. Since there are no Purple Finches or Siskins being seen in Pine County right now, and few Redpolls, it would be likely that any finches smaller than Grosbeaks would prove to be Crossbills right now. Good Birding...

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center