[mou] Swainson's Hawk

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 12:09:39 CDT 2007

Hi all,

While driving home last night, I saw a Cooper's Hawk being mobbed by a bunch of smaller birds just as I exited from Rt. 52 onto Rt. 55 east heading toward Hastings, just south of 117th St.

Further east, near the intersection of Fahey Ave. with Rt. 55, I saw Steve Weston's Swainy perched on a telephone pole.  Near where 42/85 intersect with 55, I saw a Red-tailed Hawk also perched on a telephone pole.

On Monday, I decided to take Rt. 42 home and I saw at least one Brewer's Blackbird near where Idell intersects with Rt. 42.  I took Jacob Ave. to 140th and hung a left behind the Hastings High School.  On the power lines I saw a nice perching Brown Thrasher.

Also, generally every day on my way to and from work, I see at least two Great Egrets.  The other day I had a Green Heron buzz across 55 in front of my car, not far from the Mendota (One Mile) Bridge, and when I first saw him, I thought he was a Crow, until I saw that he wasn't rowing.

Good birding,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN