[mou] Rose Breasted Grosbeak Inter-Species Feeding

Larry Sirvio lmsirvio at comcast.net
Sat Jul 28 21:56:58 CDT 2007

I had an unusual visitor at the feeder and in the yard today. I finally
figured out it must be an imm. rose breasted grosbeak. Sibley didn't have an
illustrattion that matched so I posted 2 pics on the MOU website.
www.moumn.org
Go to the Galleries and select Photo Gallery - MN
There are several other rbgb photos already there. Mine will be the last 2.
I'm ready to be corrected if someone else can tell me what it is.
I've never seen a rose breasted grosbeak in my yard except for early spring.
The really amazing thing was that this bird was begging for food from a
chipping sparrow. He had a routine. If the chipping sparrow showed up he
went to a branch in a tree and begged. The chipping sparrow fed him several
times. Each time the feeding would be in the tree - not at the feeder. I
have some photos of the two together - in somewhat poor light but the size
difference is very obvious. I've never heard of cross species feeding
before - any comments?
Larry Sirvio
Cottage Grove