[mou] Around the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 02:03:41 CDT 2007

Only interesting bird of the week was a Sharp-shinned Hawk being chased by a
much larger crow near I-35w in Bloomington.  Also interesting was the swarm
of blackbirds that were harrying a Red-tailed Hawk.  About eight birds took
turns diving at the hawk from behind, while an occasional bird decoyed in
the front.

The other day as I was heading north on I-35e, I saw a young goose run at
full speed into the road.  I doubt that kamakazi goose made it far.   One of
our wood duck houses became a death trap as a predator was successful in
pulling a hen out after a bloody struggle.  A witness ID'd the culprit as a
raccoon.  I will have to modify the house or remove it.

I believe that we have had one brood of Woodies that have successfully
reached the lake.  One of the other houses is occupied by a Hooded
Merganser, who occassionally sits in the entrance.  Her two sisters are
often watching nearby.

When we open our window in the evening, our noisy neighbors serenade us.
Mostly it has been Copes gray treefrogs with a background chorus of American
Toads, but lately I have been hearing one or two of the gray treefrogs
joining in as featured soloists.  My experience has been that the two
species don't sing  together.

sweston2 at comcast.net