[mou] Yellow-Breasted Chat, Cliff Fen Dakota County

SCOTT MEYER scottandjudy3 at msn.com
Sat Jun 2 00:59:47 CDT 2007

It was a rare treat to find the Yellow-breasted Chat with Jim Otto today.  We originally talked about the chances of it being there, which we agreed was not a high probability.  When the bird flew past us we both exclaimed on what the heck was that, but when it displayed openly in a tree and then a bare branch all the field marks were visible.  The bird also was making it's call note.  I also heard the same call note at the trail bend, nearer to the entrance.  There might be at least two Chats in the area.

I also heard a Henslow Sparrow singing very near the trail approximately 40 meters to the East of the Chat location on the North side of the path in some grassy shrubs.

It was also very important to note that the bird was posted in the same location two hours after we reported it.

Scott Meyer