[mou] MRVAC - Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge - Field Trip Report - June 2, 2007

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Sat Jun 2 23:57:17 CDT 2007

June 2, 2007

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge
Field Trip Report

Spent the afternoon and evening leading a group at Sherburne NWR.  We
enjoyed seeing or hearing 80 species of birds on at the Refuge, with our
last bird of the day being a Whip-poor-will.  We also relocated some of the
species of birds reported there over the last couple weeks.  Here is a list
of some of the species of birds we observed:

Least Bittern - 6:00 pm - Heard and seen along the Wildlife drive
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - Heard, just East of the parking lot near the entrance
to the Wildlife drive.
Whip-poor-will - 9:15 - 9:50 pm - First heard on the South side of CR 4 at
the parking area for the Sand Dunes State Forest and later heard on the
North Side of CR 4, just across the highway from the parking lot.
Willow Flycatcher - Heard in a couple locations along the Wildlife drive.
Mourning Warbler - Near the start of the Blue Hill trail
Lark Sparrow - Near the parking area of the Mahnomen Trail
Grasshopper Sparrow - Heard at 4 locations along the Wildlife drive and near
the parking areas of the Blue Hill and Mahnomen Trail.
Orchard Oriole - Just East of the first parking area on the Wildlife drive.

Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan at msn.com