[mou] Another comment about tapes, listing and reporting, Delete if not interested

SCOTT MEYER scottandjudy3 at msn.com
Sun Jun 3 02:46:59 CDT 2007

I feel compelled to respond to the issues revolving around the Chat I found with Jim Otto at Cliff Fen on Friday afternoon.

I have read the numerous emails and would like to add my impressions to the fray.

Bird watching is a recreational activity someone chooses to participate in.  If they choose to keep a list of birds and why they want to do so is an individual choice and is not subject to any one else's approval.  I keep a life list but don't follow the ABA list of birds.  By doing so it should not affect any one else because It is none of their business.  If people decide to use a system for listing and compare them with each other, again that is their business.  As far as I know, there is no "bird police" monitoring this recreational activity.

I read about "status" revolving around listing birds.  Status is gained by how you conduct yourself and are perceived by others.  Unfortunately to the ego of some people; high number of birds seen might not bring you as much status as someone with less birds.  If your intent is to just see a bird, check it off and run to the next one, I really don't care because again this a recreational activity not a competition.  I can't understand why people are getting upset about what other people individually choose to do in respect to counting birds.

The discussion about ethics is also confusing to me.  As long as there is no law against an activity, it is again up to the individual to decide what is ethically correct.  I make ethical decisions everyday that effects the environment.  Most people make what they think is a positive ethical decision because either they want to be good people, or are worried about what other people think about them.  Trying to judge the importance of playing a bird recording to other unrelated things is futile.

Sure playing a tape of a bird song has an affect on that bird; how or what is debatable.  Walking down the trail also has an affect on the birds; how and what  is also debatable.  As humans we affect the environment, that's what we have done since we became Homo sapiens.  Just the act of going to a natural area makes it less pristine.  Again, unless there is a law against something, we can't enforce what we consider to be ethically correct.  We can disagree, but we are not going to stop someone from playing a tape if that's what they are determined to do (I am not sure how bringing a camera or recording device enters into this).

The same applies to reporting a bird.  Again because this is an individual recreational activity it is no one else's business on what birds you saw.  Again there is no "bird police" or law that says you have to report a bird you did or didn't see.  You choose what group of people you share information with, but it is not ethically wrong to do your own thing and tell who ever you want.

I guess my closing comment is people are getting way to serious about a hobby.  Life is to short to worry about the ramifications of a something you are doing for fun.  I am not interested in debating the points I brought up nor trying to start an argument so please don't blast me with scornful reactions.
Thanks,

Scott B. Meyer