[mou] Dakota Co. Prairie birds

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 01:52:21 CDT 2007

On Sunday I led a MRVAC field trip: Dakota County Prairie Birds.  We found
74 species, including:
HENSLOW'S SPARROW: a lifer for at least four on the trip.  At least two were
teed up and calling at the meadow at 215th St. and Laigle Avenue in
Lakeville, southwest from I-35 and CR 70.  Everyone got killer looks at
about forty or fifty feet.  Just before I left the bird flew out and teed up
on the fence about 15' feet from where I stood.  Awesome!  Thanks Bob Dunlap
for finding them last year.
BOBOLINK:  at this same location there were many displaying Bobolinks, some
landing on the fence.
SEDGE & MARSH WRENS: same location
LARK SPARROW: 4 birds at two locations: the Coulee at Hastings WMA.  From
Hwy 61 & 316 in Hastings go south to Tuttle Dr turn left (east) and go left
on Thomas Ave.   An easier location is Michael Avenue south of Hwy316.
About a mile south look for the split log fence on the left.  the Lark
Sparrows nest in the field and along the fence.
DICKCISSELS  were at many locations including Michael Ave.
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW: Great looks at the Coulee.
NO. HARRIER: 2 males in a field in Eureka Twp off of 225th St. near Dodd
Road.
Bald Eagle: (after we split up). Two fledglings on nest in Eureka Twp south
of 255th Street.

Other sightings included blossoming Wild Flax, impressive Large Flowered
Penstemon, probably Slender Penstemon, and Carolina Puccoon.  Butterflies
included a Delaware Skipper and several Common Ringlets.  Mammals included a
meadow or prairie vole.

If you want a complete list of the birds seen, let me know.

sweston2 at comcast.net